Labels

Friday, August 12, 2011

If you were gay Bert and Ernie

We're just friends.....right Mr. Ducky?



Much has been said on this online campaign to get sesame street characters Bert and Ernie exchange their vows to each other. But with all the clamor this issue is getting, Sesame Workshop had finally taken its stand and released an official statement on Sesame Street's facebook page that the two muppets are not gay.

Not this year at least.

I must admit, I laughed when I saw the title of the article in yahoo news (which was the reason I read it in the first place). But I have to agree with the people who are voting "No" this time. Watching Bert and Ermie when I was a kid, I just saw them as two people trying to annoy the hell out from each other. Never saw their relationship in a romantic level. They came across to me more as brothers than lovers.

While I'm all about equality and acceptance, I support the idea of making Sesame Street a neutral show where kids could just sing, dance, laugh and learn the abc's of the alphabet. They only get to be kids once, so let the kids be kids.

My Reflection: Whenever I see a bunch of children playing altogether, I can't help but think how pure and precious that moment is. A world without prejudice and resentment, just love. I wish we are all reminded of what really matters.

1 comment:

  1. I agree about this post. Let's remember what Ernie and Bert is all about which is brotherly love.

    ReplyDelete